Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tail light/brake light problem in 1994 Ford Explorer?

I have a '94 Ford Explorer that still runs well, but recently both my tail lights went out (I'm assuming) at the same time. In this car, the same bulb is used for braking, turn signals, and when your headlights are on. The bulbs work when I brake and when I signal, but when I turn on my headlights they don't come on. I changed the bulbs and it didn't make any difference. What could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!



Some other possibly relevant information...

1) I recently had to replace the car's computer

2) My dashboard lights may have gone out at the same time
Tail light/brake light problem in 1994 Ford Explorer?
See if the front marker lights work with the head lamps on. If so, then you know the switch and fuse are good. Next, pull the tail lamp out and disconnect the plug. Then take a test light and probe the connector on the car for the tail lamp. If it lights up, you know you have power to the tail lamp and the socket is bad. If there is no power and the fuse is good, then you will have to probe the wire back to where there is power and splice it from there. More than likely it is a chaffed wire under the dash if it is not the switch or fuse.
Tail light/brake light problem in 1994 Ford Explorer?
check the fuse sometimes they are on different fuses after that check and see if you have power to them if not you got a wiring prob and only a pro can help
got you covered,i have a 95 f150 same trouble. find your tail light ground on the rear light and ground it better or run a new one.this should stop the trouble
Lighting control module... it's a Ford thing.