Friday, September 23, 2011

Why is my yellow tail blue damsel changing color?

My yellow tail blue damsel is changing from a vibrant blue to a weird purple-whiteish color when i turn the aquarium lights off. I don't have moonlights so it is just dark in my aquarium and the fish freaks out and swims around crazily and changes purple- white and stays like that until I turn the lights on in the morning. Why is it doing that?
Why is my yellow tail blue damsel changing color?
just normal color change associated with stress





fish's colors fade overnight (unless they are nocturnal) it's completely normal



unless he's turning red or something i wouldn't be worried



is the damsel fairly new? or did you recently alter the photoperiod? because of an algea bloom maybe?



over time he should get acustomed to the new lighting regimine and stop fading colors
Why is my yellow tail blue damsel changing color?
damsels will change color based on moods, yes sounds strange but blue damsels are the best example, the yellow tail blue damsel is alittle different, but the blue damsel will change from bright blue to a dark purple when it is scared.
It sounds like the results of an illness, but also consider how long you have had the Damsel as most will drop their colour as they get older.