Friday, September 23, 2011

Crown Vic / Gr Marquis Tail Light Compatibility... Is That Possible?

Both tail light lenses on my '99 MGM were (are) broken so, I went to the junk yard %26amp; haphazardly bought 2 off of a Crown Vic. My 1999 Grand Marquis was manufactured in September, 1998 %26amp; the Crown Vic Mfg Date was October, 1998. It's quite obvious, at 1st-glance, that the physical appearance of the MGM lenses differed from that of the CV: The Crown Vic lenses are mostly red, w/ a strip of amber at the bottom (presumably the amber is the turn signal). The original MGM lenses were completely red, w/ NO amber.



Physical differences aside, I thought that they'd [I]surely[/I] have compatible wiring %26amp; connectors. My presumptions appear incorrect(!)



--%26gt; MY QUESTION IS: Is there ANY way (short of changing-out the Lighting Control Module) to make the CV lights work properly in my MGM?



After performing some novice DIY rearranging, cutting/splicing of wires, I was able to get the lights to come on in various configurations but, I don't see a way to make the bottom 2 bulbs (amber) to act ONLY as a turn flasher, and the top two (red) to act ONLY as parking and/or brake lights.



*[See wiring description(s) below, if needed]*







CROWN VIC'

Wires out, from connector:

Org/Blu-stripe;

Green;

Blk;

Brn.



Wires in, to bulb connector/sockets:

TOP 2 bulbs (behind red lens) -- Blk=Ground Bro=Minor Grn=Major

BOTTOM 2 bulbs (behind amber lens) -- Blk=Ground NO WIRE=Minor Org/Blu-stripe=Major







]Grand Marquis

Wires out, from connector:

Org/Blu-stripe;

Blk;

Brn.



Wires in, to bulb connector/sockets:

TOP 2 bulbs (ENTIRE lens is red) -- Blk=Ground Brn=Minor Org/Blu=Major

BOTTOM 2 bulbs (ENTIRE lens is red) -- Blk=Ground Brn=Minor *Blu=Wires Dead-End Inside Tape-Out therefore, %26quot;Major%26quot; is not powered.
Crown Vic / Gr Marquis Tail Light Compatibility... Is That Possible?
I don't think so. What I do with the junkies is find out whats interchangeable when I go to the front desk and they give me the interchangeability matrix. Sounds like you got a job. I also go to car-part.com for parts and I can get those sent to me. Wish you well, sorry I can't help more.
Crown Vic / Gr Marquis Tail Light Compatibility... Is That Possible?
if they look the same and they fit the same they the same